Thursday, September 9, 2010

Artist Interview: Chris Bingham




What is your name: Chris Bingham
 
Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Drawing from The University of Texas at Arlington, and also studied graphic design at Southwest Texas State and The University of North Texas, but I am a self-taught painter.
 
What is the style of your pieces: nostalgic realism 
 
What is the medium in which you work: I mainly work with gouache and acrylic, and mix in some non traditional mediums.
 
What started you on your path as an artist: mainly boredom and curiousness. I am an only child, so I had a lot of free time when I was young which allowed me to channel my creative side.
 
What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: sanity.  whenever you have a bad day, art is always there to bring you back or let you escape.
 
What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: pop art, with abstract expressionism coming in a close second
 
Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: Quite a few group shows and juried shows the past few years, so the atmosphere typically varies with the venue and show, but I definitely like a laid back atmosphere.  
 
Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: nothing special, I think every pair of pants I own have paint on them.
 
What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist? Even when things are a little frustrating, I just remind myself that there is nothing more satisfying or gratifying than doing something you absolutely love. 
 
What is your favorite sandwich of all time: I'm a sucker for a good cheeseburger. I consider it a sandwich.
 
Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: changes in medium and size, but subject matter is staying the same
 
Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Andy Warhol

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person: "Big Self Portrait" by Chuck Close. I stood in amazement when I saw it.
 
Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: I'm a high school teacher, so do my students count?
 
Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Currently have a piece hanging in a show at the Oak Cliff Cultural Center, "Perspectives from the Cliff: Recent Work by Oak Cliff Artists", and a possible group show in Houston in December. 




No comments:

Post a Comment