Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Artist Interview: Alex Ray Guffey (ARG!)




What is your name: 
  Alex Ray Guffey (ARG!)

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: 
 I think the greatest things I've learned about art have come from late night experimentation, I have had formal direction in the not too distant past, but I have found it stifling and prefer sleep deprivation.

What is the style of your pieces:
 I was actually hoping someone would tell me, I think it's somewhere between surrealism, abstract, and whatever best conveys any particular idea I have in my head at the time.

What is the medium in which you work: 
 It varies depending on the piece but I mostly use ink and watercolor with subtle hints of acrylic in my paintings. 

What started you on your path as an artist: 
 In early childhood I noticed the blankness of a piece of paper, so I fell into it.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
 Meaning.  Creating, imagining, and thoughtfully challenging the world is the only way I want to live.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: 
 Lowbrow and surrealism would be at the top of the list.

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: 
 I haven't as of yet had any showings outside of underground art group set ups.  There's always interesting art at things like that but the going rate of a good painting is a lot lower than I think it would usually be.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
 I have an old walgreens photo jacket that I like to use the pockets for brushes, but generally if I want to paint something I'm not going to worry about changing clothes, I look at paint splatter as a badge really.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
 Promoting.  I don't really have any idea how to go about it, I can only hope the art sells itself.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: 
 The kind that you make out of the leftover turkey the day after thanksgiving. Delicious.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
 I think I have had less time to work this year than I usually dedicate to my painting but I have been writing/storyboarding a lot for an animated series that I'm working on.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: 
Salvador Dali is just insane enough to be my favorite but I favor a good many artists both alive and dead. 
What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:
 Well that one is tough, I think I'm going to go with time because it’s always moving and as far as I can tell it encompasses the art of everything.

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: 
 My cat likes to sleep on my pile of incomplete sketches and such so I assume he likes it or at least finds it pretty comfortable.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: 
 I have pending requests that when finalized I will post on my website.

                   
plasticorgans@gmail.com           

No comments:

Post a Comment