Friday, November 4, 2011

Artist Interview: Monique Leone




What is your name:  Monique Leone 

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I began by taking a colored pencil workshop then expanded to acrylics and abstract art on my own.  I guess you would say I am self taught. I've never had any formal art education.  

What is the style of your pieces:  Abstract 

What is the medium in which you work:  Acrylic Ink and Mixed Media

What started you on your path as an artist:  A dear friend introduced me to another friend who was teaching colored pencil. 

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life:  Freedom of expression and flexing my creative flare.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in:  Impressionism and the classics

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:  I've never had an art showing.  My work has been well received at the art shows I have entered.  Won Best of Show in Amateur for my abstracts at the Minneola Art Show the last two years. 

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in:  Usually jeans and t-shirt.  After ruining a pair of nice white pants not to mention the carpet by spilling a full bottle of yellow ink, I wear old raggedy clothes and a smock now. 

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?  Realism...I love the flow of painting loose. 

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  Chicken salad. 

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they:  I have begun utilizing my prowess of observation to enhance my work.  I like creating my art for a specific room.  I visualize all data of the room...colors, shapes, textures, motif etc. and use the environment to create a piece that will enhance the room.  I have created pieces for homes in Dallas, Irving, Tyler and Whitehouse. 

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead:  Salvador Dali 

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:   The Mona Lisa...actually the entire Louvre, spent three days just in the Louvre, it was magnificent! 

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work:  We have two dogs, Target is a black lab that wondered up starved and had been hit by a truck and TinkerBell a Shih Tzu/Miniature Sheltie mix.  Well, they haven't told me anything but when I am working on my larger pieces I usually work on the floor with a plastic covering.  Target doesn't like walking on the plastic so I don't have to worry about her but TinkerBell loves to get in the middle of it.  She has at times made interesting swipes with her swiffer tail! 

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us:  No, I'm pretty much undiscovered. 


                  
email     Monique@rosecityflyingclays.com                  

No comments:

Post a Comment