Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Artist Interview: Julia Pappas




What is your name: Julia Pappas

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist: I received my Bachelor of Fine Arts from Michigan State University in 2009.

What is the style of your pieces: Contemporary abstract, expressive paintings, full of energy and bold colors

What is the medium in which you work: Mixed media painting

What started you on your path as an artist: 
I was raised by a mother, an art teacher, who saw the world as most people do not - in all its design and color. Since I was very young, she encouraged and provided me with the loving experience of seeing the beauty of the world. My vision of the world became just that: really “seeing” the world, not in an objective, distant, uncaring way, but in a subjective, intimate, wondrous connection with nature and people’s interpretation of what they see and imagine. These experiences have been engrained in my personal self and identity. They are interwoven in my psyche and outlook – no more able to be separated from me as any physical characteristic or psychological part of me. This great gift that my mother has given me has nourished my growth to the point where my vision, my love of art, and my abilities cannot be kept to myself but must be shared with others. It is not an option, nor is it for just part of my life.  As Henry Moore said, “Art is your way of living so there is no end to it.”

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: 
A new way to view the world. When I create, I am only an observer, watching my hand paint effortlessly as a beautiful image evolves. My energy becomes the painting’s energy. Throughout the painting process, I’m simply bringing the piece to life, where it holds it’s own emotions and stories. I’ve found a new sense of confidence, allowing me to listen to myself less and the image more, as if the image is telling me what to do and how it wants to look upon completion. I feel alive, and so are my creations.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Architectural design

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like:
I’ve participated in several art showings, which are typically group shows in a gallery setting.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: 
It depends on the situation, but I typically wear clothes and shoes that have already been decorated with drips of paint.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?
I believe I speak for all artists when I say unlimited funding/space would be ideal.  Since I frequently have several ideas floating around my mind at one time, I am anxious to work on numerous pieces at once, experiment, and explore various materials.  However, I know this will be much easier to do when I have larger studio space in the near future.

What is your favorite sandwich of all time: Subway’s Buffalo Chicken Sub with veggies and ranch

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: 
Life changing decisions and experiences in this last year have led me to find my own expressive way in creating art, moving from a literal vision to one that is figurative and expressive with bold colors.  Color in my work has become energetic and emotional.  I am also broadening my subject matter, ranging from abstract figures to expressive landscapes.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Chuck Close

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: Yes! I will be featured in Art Fusion’s “A Spring Affair” Show opening April 2nd, 2011 in Miami, FL. You can find more information here: http://www.artfusiongallery.com/exhibitions.html

                  
julia@jpappas.com                      

No comments:

Post a Comment