Monday, December 27, 2010

Artist Interview: Ricardo Paniagua Garcia III



What is your name: Ricardo Paniagua Garcia III aka Don Kuko

Do you have a formal art education or are you a self taught artist:  I am self-taught, although I do need to give credit to academia. There have been plenty of edumacated artsy fartsy people that have hooked me up with the low down in art jargon.

What is the style of your pieces: Post-Contemporary.

What is the medium in which you work: I tend to lean towards industrial painting products, or if the store is closed I just go to the Dallas Arboretum and grab some flowers n stuff.

What started you on your path as an artist: I picked up a book in church one sunday a long time ago. It described artists, saints, and poets to all be those who received visions from God and who wanted to share this knowledge.  I have always been blessed with revelations for a higher order so coupled with my creative side, things fell into place.

What is one of the most important things that art has brought to your life: Art has brought a sense of freedom into my life.

What is your favorite genre of art besides the one you work in: Installation

Do you have art showings, and if so what are they typically like: I've had a jolly green giants handfull of art showing. They are usually a hoot.

Do you have a certain set of clothes you make art in: My whole thrift store wardrobe is ruined. Even when I go buy new discount pumas at the puma outlet in frisco, I find myself painting in them, having forgot about their pristine condition. The inspiration is sometimes rare and must take over.

What has been the most frustrating part of being an artist?   The amount of time it takes to get an email back from people who's friend I just want to be. ;)

What is your favorite sandwich of all time:  At The All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum, TX there is the Grilled Cheese they make. It has all these fancy peppers n stuff in it.

Has this year brought about any changes in your work, and if so what are they: No, I honestly feel like I am at a place where alot of the technical difficulties with MSDS investigations have really slowed down alot.

Who is your favorite artist alive or dead: Antoni Gaudi

What is the most moving piece of artwork that you have seen in person:  
 William Bouguereau - The Lost Pleiad (1884)

Do you have any animals, and what do they think of your work: Tough question. Great, now you've just made me cry.

Do you have any upcoming exhibitions you would like to share with us: In April, I will have work in the Texas Biennial. I have two other shows scheduled as well.

                  
  r.paniagua.giii@sbcglobal.net            

No comments:

Post a Comment